Eugene Y. S. Chua
Nanyang Assistant Professor
Nanyang Technological University Singapore
Ahmanson Postdoctoral Instructor
UC San Diego
Beyond Spacetime Group,
University of Illinois Chicago
University of Cambridge
I am Ahmanson postdoctoral instructor in philosophy of science at Caltech, and will be Nanyang Assistant Professor at Nanyang Technological University come 2024.
*Apr 2024: I will be giving a talk on "Decoherence, Branching, and the Born Rule in a Mixed-State Everettian Multiverse" (w/ Eddy Keming Chen) at the Pacific APA's Philosophy of Physics Society meeting.
*Dec 2023: I will be giving a talk on my work in progress, "Putting Pressure Under Pressure", at the Caltech Humanities Brown Bag Seminar series.
* Nov 2023: I was invited to write a book review for Metascience on Benjamin Feintzeig's "The Classical-Quantum Correspondence", published here.
*Aug 2023: I was featured in a short interview for the American Philosophical Association's blog here.
*Jun 2023: My essay "The Time in Thermal Time" received the UCSD Philosophy Department's Best Graduate Student Essay prize!
* 2024-: I will be Nanyang Assistant Professor at Nanyang Technological University in Singapore. The position comes with up to $1m in research startup money -- contact me if you are interested in collaborating!
* Aug 2023- Aug 2024: I will be the Ahmanson postdoctoral instructor in Philosophy of Science at California Institute of Technology!
* Sep 2023: I will be giving a talk "Is Time's Emergence Physically Coherent?" at the European Philosophy of Science Association meeting in Belgrade, Serbia.
* Aug 2023: I will be giving a talk "Time's Emergence and Physical Coherence" at the Society for Metaphysics of Science conference in Halifax, Canada.
* Jun-Aug 2023: I will be participating in the AI and Data Ethics summer institute at Northeastern University in Boston.
* Jan 2023: My essay, 'T Falls Apart: On the Status of Classical Temperature in Relativity', is now forthcoming at Philosophy of Science.
* April 2023: I presented a work-in-progress, 'A Thick Material Theory of Machine Learning', at the Nature of Bias conference at Claremont McKenna College in SoCal.
* Jan 2023: I presented my paper 'The Time in Thermal Time', and also commented on a paper on the metaphysics of time, at the Eastern APA meeting in Montreal.
* Nov 2022: My essay, 'T Falls Apart: On the Status of Classical Temperature in Relativity', won the 2022 Mary B. Hesse essay award for the best single-authored paper submitted by a graduate student as a contributed paper for the biennial Philosophy of Science Association (PSA) meeting and accepted for publication in Philosophy of Science by the PSA Program Committee.
* Jul 2022: My essay, 'T Falls Apart: On the Status of Classical Temperature in Relativity', won the Robert K. Clifton memorial book prize for best paper in philosophy of physics at the 2022 Logic, Math, and Physics graduate conference held at University of Western Ontario.
* Nov 2022: I gave a talk at the 2022 Philosophy of Science Association biennial meeting on my paper on relativistic temperature, "T Falls Apart: On the Status of Classical Temperature in Relativity"!
* Nov 2022: I gave a talk at the Imre Lakatos Centenary Conference at the LSE, on my paper "Degeneration and Entropy", a Lakatosian critique of the extension of subjective information-theoretic notions into thermodynamic entropy.
* Sep 2022: I gave a talk at the California Quantum Interpretation Network's 2022 meeting, on recent work with Eddy Keming Chen, "Branching and the Born Rule for a Mixed-State Everettian Multiverse". (draft available upon request!)
* Oct 2022: I gave an invited talk on my recent work on the thermal time hypothesis at the Foundations of Physics @ Harvard seminar series. (Draft available in link)